Do Not Wait to Contact a Sex Crimes Attorney if You Have Been Accused of a Sex Crime
If you have been charged with, or even accused of, a sex crime in California then now is the time to contact Simmons Wagner, LLP. There is no reason to wait and every reason to act immediately. The fact of the matter is that this type of charge can not only have legal consequences, but it can also have significant personal consequences as well. A conviction could mean jail time, huge fines, and the requirement to register as a sex offender for the rest of your life.
If you are a person of interest in a sex crimes investigation then you should call an experienced attorney immediately. Ideally, we can work to convince the District Attorney not to file charges at all, or to file lesser charges. Call us now at (949) 439-5857 so we can get started right away.
Every Sex Crime Should Be Taken Seriously
There is no such thing as a “minor” sex crime in the eyes of the law. If a person faces these charges, then they are facing serious charges. At Simmons Wagner, LLP we have decades of experiencing helping clients through this difficult and challenging time. Some of the sex crimes we can help you fight include:
- Indecent Exposure. Exposing genitals to another person without their consent for the purpose of sexual gratification or to offend the other person.
- Child Molestation. Purposefully touching a child or getting a child to touch you or someone else for the purpose of sexual arousal or gratification.
- Solicitation/Prostitution. Engaging in or offering to engage in prostitution is against the law for everyone involved, including the prostitute, their client, and their pimp.
- Sexual Battery. Touching any intimate part of someone else’s body without their consent for the purposes of sexual arousal, abuse, or gratification.
- Rape. Sexual intercourse with a person who has not consented or who cannot legally consent due to mental disorder, intoxication, or unconsciousness.
- Statutory Rape. An adult having sexual intercourse with a person under the age of 18 – even if the alleged victim consented.
This is a partial list of the various sex crimes a person can be charged with. Whether the crime you are facing is on this list or not, you can contact Simmons Wagner, LLP for help.
Sex Offender Status in California
If you are convicted of sex crimes in California, you could face jail or prison, strict probation, and other terms based on the alleged offense. You might also be required to register as a sex offender due to California Penal Code section 290. If you are, then you will:
- Be required to annually update your registration with local law enforcement as long as you live in, work in, or attend school in the state
- Have your name, address, and picture released to the public as a sex offender
- Face additional criminal charges if you fail to register as a sex offender
A Sex Crimes Attorney Can Help You in Many Ways
There is no cookie cutter defense argument to these charges. You need an attorney who will take the time to examine the evidence and provide a careful, considered defense strategy for your particular case. We are able to do that because:
- We have expertise in the rules of evidence
- We know the essential role that forensic analysis of evidence like hairs, DNA, and fibers can play in these cases
- We know how to challenge evidence
Our first goal will be to show that there is not enough evidence to convict you in order for the District Attorney to drop the charges or, if they have not yet been filed, to not file them at all.
If there a wealth of evidence, then we might work to show why that evidence does not show what the prosecution believes it does. For example, if you did have intercourse with the alleged victim but it was consensual, then we can work to show this.
In other cases, negotiating the best possible plea deal might be the right way forward. The goal here is to secure the most lenient penalty possible. We might be able to get you a reduced charge that does not come with the complication and stigma of registering as a sex offender.